Saturday, February 6, 2010

Last night came the predicted snowstorm. The first picture is taken at about 4 or 5 this morning, and the second one just now. It's a good thing I stocked up on groceries, nobody is going anywhere today!
It is still coming down fairly steadily, I'm not sure when it's supposed to stop and I'm too lazy to check... luckily I have projects to keep me busy. I have an epaulets pattern that I was working on yesterday that is coming together nicely, and I also have another, top secret project that may take me a few months before I'm willing to announce it. In fact I may never announce it if it doesn't work out, but I'm really excited and am going to have to limit my time spent on it or I won't get anything else done.
Also, did you know there is a "Goth Cruise: The Movie"!?! I didn't.
So many of my friends started out this way, I know I definitely had my time before I decided I liked metal better. I have a deep and profound affection for goth culture, people can say what they like about every sub-culture being a uniform, and that in striving to look different they all look the same, but being a goth is where I learned most of my hair tricks. It is where I learned a lot of my sewing tricks and it gave me the go-ahead to be creative.
It's a little easier now, but when I was 15, which was in 1988 (yikes!) it was really hard to buy those kind of clothes. They had to be made. Many a night I had my mother up late slaving into the wee hours to make me a pair of leggings with lace down the sides (sorry mum!), or putting together a purple velvet jacket in time for the weekly shuffle around the dancefloor at the Mayfair in Newcastle.
There was no internet in my teenage world, in fact there was no mobile phones even, all the clothes I wore had to be bought from the two 'alternative' shops that existed within my radius or made by me or my mum and I still carry that affection for making everything with me to this day. I alter everything I buy, even if it's something small like putting a different curve on a side seam so it fits me better. It's not even that I can't find anything I like anymore, fashion is a lot more diverse these days, and a lot more accepting and even encouraging of unique styles... it's just that I can't help myself!
These shots are all Gareth Pugh, of course.
The last is one of the only surviving pictures of my moment in gothic time (I am not wearing glasses, that is make up)






No comments:

Post a Comment